On Wednesday 24 December 2003 13:12, Thomas Richards wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was thinking of maybe a 10 GB /root partition on ext3
> to store important files.  Has anyone compared JFS to ext3?

Can't help you with JFS, but I'm an EXT3 fan.  Many of my correspondents on
the linux-users list prefer XFS over anything else, but it's not available
without getting patches until 2.6 (there are plans to merge it into 2.4),  I
just completed a reiserfs install on a SUSE system and found the journal
trashed a couple of days later, so I've written that one off.

Unless you are putting up a heavy duty server, I don't think you'll notice a
real speed difference with any of these fs.  I've used EXT3 almost since its
beginning without any problems.

Enjoy your new machine.

--
Collins