begin  quote
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 08:37:58 -0500
"Robert G. Waycott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A] Are there certain CFLAGS that should NEVER be used with gcc?

Anything above -O2 , basically.  This is done in the ebuild already
("strip-flags" )

> 2] Am I actually going to run into any problems with the updated
> programs if I don't install gcc-3.3.2-r5?

you may, some programs might have miscompiled earlier, so an upgrade
would be necessary for them to work properly / even compile.  Case to
case basis, generally its ok not to, but compiler upgrades are always a
good idea inside the same version.

> D] Why is gcc-3.3.2-r5 at the top of the list for 'emerge -u world'
> but 'emerge -u gcc' says it must update pam, pam-login, hashalot,
> util-linux, baselayout, and glibc first--all of which actually follow
> gcc in the list of packages to be updated by 'emerge -u world'?

ordering,  depending on the target the dependency tree is calculated
differently.  (there are multiple targets inside "world" which will be
incorporated into a best-fit way, when doing a single target  you will
get a less branched path. )

> 4] Will I have to rebuild my packages or run revdep-rebuild after
> finally getting gcc-3.3.2-r5 to emerge one day?
Nope.

> On another note, I think the Gentoo Devs are doing a damn spiffy job.
> I'd like to figure out how to run my car on Gentoo. Anyone care to
> maintain?

Hmm,  Thats a lot of cd's youd have to throw out on the ground to make
it run all the way on it,  I'd start by parking it on Gentoo. Much
simpler and less cd's required.

*G*

Now, whats the exact error when compiling gcc?  Not just the ERROR:
foo/bar-baz at line...  put some 30-50 lines more than that so we get a
context.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!