On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 08:37:58AM -0500, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Robertt G. Waycott"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> D] Why is gcc-3.3.2-r5 at the top of the list for 'emerge -u world' but
> 'emerge -u gcc' says it must update pam, pam-login, hashalot,
> util-linux, baselayout, and glibc first--all of which actually follow
> gcc in the list of packages to be updated by 'emerge -u world'?
When you do 'emerge --update --world', Portage includes anything in your
<profile>/packages and world files, in fairly arbitrary order. Since hashalot is not
in any profile, I'm guessing that you have emerged it specifically. When you do
'emerge --update gcc', the only specifically included package is gcc, and its deps
will be updated first. Try doing 'emerge --update --deep --world' to pull in more than
one level of dependency.
> On another note, I think the Gentoo Devs are doing a damn spiffy job.
> I'd like to figure out how to run my car on Gentoo. Anyone care to
> maintain?
Will that be Gentoo-leaded or Gentoo-unleaded? Or, perhaps, Gentoo-caffinated?

--
Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.