From: Spider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2004/01/03 Sat PM 07:36:39 EST
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Quick emerge -u world questions

lots of weird segfault /ice..  Are you overclocking?  If so this could
be a show of memorystrain (check the RAM fex.)  but if things like
mozilla and xfree and so on build, its not likely to be that either.

report to bugzilla, thats all the further advice I can offer if the two
above return false.

//Spider

As far as I can recall at the moment, my system is not overclocked. Now, before anyone
loses their temper with me on that remark, it has been so blasted long since I have
messed with a CPU setting, that I really have no idea what I may have done long ago. I
have dual PIII-933s, and on bootup and in dmesg, they register as 933 ... no less, no
more. So, I'll have to check my BIOS settings. Spider, I don't follow your suggestion
to 'check the RAM fex.' What's 'fex.'? Regarding xfree and Mozilla, I do not have
Mozilla on my system. I use Opera for the most part. But xfree is running the latest
updated version. It failed to compile once, but upon retrying, I succesfully built it.

Now, to add a further oddity to all of this. Right now I'm running 2.6.0-love sources.
While running 2.4.23, I successfully emerged everything on the system to ~x86 without
any errors. I think I was using -j4 for MAKEOPTS, and everything right through KDE
compiled on my system in just about twelve hours. I had no errors at all. After
getting 2.6 running--except that my USB is royally screwed up now--I decided to be
daring and add 'nptl' to my USE flags and 'emerge -e world.' Without going too much
into it, I successfully borked my box beyond recognition and had to reinstall
everything. I did not compile a new kernel, but kept my old /boot partition with all
my kernels on it. Everything boots just fine. I have re-emerged the proper kernel
sources, and even recompiled the kernel and overwrote what was on /boot just to be
safe. However, now I cannot succesfully emerge such packages as glibc, gcc, kdelibs,
and other nefarious behemoths. The only addition to my system that was absent from the
2.4.23 incarnation is bootsplash and framebuffer. Would these be in the background
gobbling up memory or other resources, effecting compilations? Thank you for reading.
Send me to Siberia now.

Neuros

--***--
'Esse quam videri.'