Pooh Sun Tzu wrote:
Maybe it is just me, but I've never in my entire experience had swap touched. And that is at 400 megs of RAM, in gnome, XFCE4, and fluxbox. Cached, sure. But he is running into swap, and that isn't supposed to happen.

When I started using Gentoo, I was using kernel version 2.4.20-gentoo-r7 or r8, and I NEVER got any memory swapped out to disk (on this machine which has 768M... my mail server which has 96M, did sometimes but hardly ever). However, when I upgraded to 2.4.22-gentoo-r2, I noticed that at all times I have at least 2MB swapped (on both gentoo machines).

Aaron
--
http://ka0ttic.dyndns.org/

/usr/bin/fortune says:
There are no winners in life, only survivors.