Must be you :) - gnumeric can use gbytes of swap at times (builds a
humongous xml tree in memory before printing and some save operations).
Using the GD library (from perl) to produce some plots can use a LOT of
swap.  Kept crashing around 1G ram and 4G swap before it would finish -
I had 2 x 1G swap partitions on separate disks, and 2 x 2g swap files
for 6 G total (tried on gentoo and RH, both the same!) - gotta get back
to that project some time ...

No matter how much ram I have, it seems to want to put a few meg into
swap almost immediately after boot into X, and it slowley grows and
stabilses at a couple of hundred meg over a few days.

BillK