As far as I know it doesn't have to be the same platform, as long as it can cross
compile there is a chance that it might works.  But I could wrong though...

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Farmer)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:46:25 -0800
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distcc on linux and mac

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:49:45 -0800, Lotas T Smartman muttered:
> right. i asked this in the forums
> (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=119717&highlight=distcc+mac)
> and i just wanted to find out something. apple released some patches and
> code for GCC to make it customized for the mac. if i download and
> install this, is there a chance it will work? also, is there a chance i
> could kill GCC Standard for my PC? the reason is because my mac is
> seriously underpowered. there is a few things i need to compile on it
> and distcc makes sence. it would use the power of my dual athlon, a
> duron 700 and a soon to be added to the network 1.33Gz Athlon too.
> Any tips would be handy. there is more on the distcc site here
> (http://distcc.samba.org/faq.html#cross-to-darwin).
> I supose the major question though is will it kill my system? can i
> still use the old compiler?

If I remember correctly, distcc requires that all systems be the same
architecture and have all the same include files available. Unless you want
to try to port Apple's GCC patches (for Frameworks and the like) to Linux,
I'm afraid you're out of luck.

--
Andrew Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]