On 21:56 Wed 21 Jan     , Tianran Chen wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Petro Verkhogliad wrote:
> > the strange thing is that have the bootplash and background working. however, i
> > am still getting the message about the RAM disk being invalid.
> >
> > for me, the key to the whole configuration was getting the kernel settings
> > right.
> >
> > at the same time, i am running 2.6.1-love5 which is prepatched for bootsplash.
> > it makes the configurations issuses less troublesome.
> >
> > good luck
>
> it is really strange. i thought the kernel as to load images from the
> initrd. if it is invalid, how can the kernel load anything?

I had the same dmesg. I had been following the instructions in the
bootsplash howto, they worked fine on one machine, not on this one.
I did some sleuthing and found that the command to create the images
given in the howto seems out-of-date. The path has changed. I has to
use:

"/sbin/splash -s -f \
/etc/bootsplash/gentoo/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg > \
/boot/initrd-1024x768"

to get mine to work. Of course, change the resolution to suit your
taste.

--
Bill Roberts