Interesting. Well, you've given me plenty to look into. Not sure I grasp it all, but I have an inkling at least. I had a suspicion that somehow the drive was being remapped or something like that after grub started.

Thanks,

Rob

mikep wrote:
Rob Moore wrote:

I have a SIIG EIDE Ultra Ata-133 controller and my sole drive is hooked up to it. I've been having the same issues with booting as Dwight. After I install and reboot, I get the kernel panic message. I was thinking in my case the problem might have to do with the fact that there's no drive connected to the motherboard's controller, but now I'm wondering if it has something to do with the SIIG controller. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here...

Rob

I just installed a HighPoint 1520 PCI controller for my Raptor SATA drive and use GRUB to boot. I can set the HighPoint bios for the Raptor as a master boot drive but my m/b bios wont recognize that.

So i boot GRUB from a PATA drive connected to the m/b (hd0) and point GRUB's root to the Raptor/boot (hd1,0) and root=/dev/hda2 ide=reverse

If i remove the PATA drive i can boot GRUB from a floppy and then the Raptor/boot is (hd0,0).