> Mine doesn't have a 3com ethernet port - unless you're saying
> port as in "the 3com driver was ported".  Now that I see your
> model number, I think the one I have is A7S.  But maybe it's A7N,
> but I know it's not A7N8x-Deluxe.

OK, well the A7N8X-Deluxe had two ethernet ports - one 3Com and one NVidia.
We used just the 3com since the kernel didn't need to be patched.

> Also, what about sound?  That's provided by the nForce2 chipset
> on my motherboard as well.

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0

> > By the way, I'm using the SiI SATA controller, and I could never get
> > the computer to boot off of it (well, it worked in windows, but that
> > hardly counts).  I'm having the best luck using LILO with /boot on a
> > PATA hard drive--I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear.
>
> Well, actually I've booted off it just fine once I get a
> distribution installed.  But that's the tricky part, because none
> of the install CDs come with even a module for the Silicon Image
> controller compiled in.  I've been learning about isolinux and
> various other things like initrd for the past couple of weeks as
> I try to figure out how to create my own.

Ah...and that was the reason (at the time) that we went with the 2.4.23
kernel since it had been patched for the Silicon Image controllers. I
*think* 2.4.22 has now been patched also, but not at the time. I presume
2.6.x has all of this and more, but what do I know? ;-)

- Mark