On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 04:39:37PM -0600, Rainer Sigwald wrote:
> On 15:34 Tue 27 Jan     , Richard Kilgore wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 03:42:55PM -0500, Dwight Frye wrote:
> >
> > I have an Abit motherboard (A<someLetter>-7, I think) that has
> > the Silicon Image chipset SATA controller on it, and I was NOT
> > able to use 2.6, because it has an nForce2 chipset . . .
>
> ??  I'm running an Asus A7N8x-Deluxe (with nForce2) on 2.6.1 vanilla
> with no problems.  I am using the 3com ethernet port, not the nforce
> one, but I don't need the nv closed-source drivers (other than video,
> which works) for anything.

Mine doesn't have a 3com ethernet port - unless you're saying
port as in "the 3com driver was ported".  Now that I see your
model number, I think the one I have is A7S.  But maybe it's A7N,
but I know it's not A7N8x-Deluxe.

Also, what about sound?  That's provided by the nForce2 chipset
on my motherboard as well.

> By the way, I'm using the SiI SATA controller, and I could never get
> the computer to boot off of it (well, it worked in windows, but that
> hardly counts).  I'm having the best luck using LILO with /boot on a
> PATA hard drive--I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear.

Well, actually I've booted off it just fine once I get a
distribution installed.  But that's the tricky part, because none
of the install CDs come with even a module for the Silicon Image
controller compiled in.  I've been learning about isolinux and
various other things like initrd for the past couple of weeks as
I try to figure out how to create my own.

    - richard

--
Richard Kilgore
[EMAIL PROTECTED]