> 1-PROGRESS BARS... man-o-man would I love a progress bar during an emerge
> update, instead of all the text that gets listed to console. And "updating
> portage cache"... WOW. That's a real friendly, informative screen update.
> :') Maybe just expanding the existing -quiet switch in emerge would be
> better?

i've often wished for the same thing, but *not* in the console.  i figure if
you want a pretty look & feel, go with a gui of some kind.  ideally, you'd
have something equivalent to ximian's red carpet.  but like others have
mentioned, it's a huge problem to figure out and not something i'd really be
interested in figuring out.

> 2-HIDE THE GARBAGE... Do we really need to have ALL the compiler and emerge
> updated logged to the screen? See PROGRESS BARS above.

it's not garbage.  it's output.  if you don't like it, run emerge with the
following:

  # emerge <package_name> 2>&1 /dev/null

that said, if you'd like an asthetic look & feel, build it into a gui.  make a
ximian redcarpet type gui that *optionally* hides the output.  something like
the bootsplash on the gentoo install cd...

> 3-STARTUP SCRIPTS... Yup, Gentoo is beautiful. I use it all the time, on
> maybe a dozen computers of various architecture and brand. But I really
> have issue with the manner of organizing the system startup scripts. Could
> we please, use something more granular, more static? Like the good, old
> fashion SystemV stuff that they used in Caldera Open Linux? KDE ships with
> a SysV editor that would be a PERFECT match for something like this. I'm so
> tired of booting the laptops at work and wating for the "CACHING" to
> complete... If nothing else is done, please see PROGRESS BARS above.

gotta disagree with you there.  i came from redhat's startup ways and
absolutely LOVE the gentoo startup scripts.

> 4-DEVFS is a horrible beast... Have odd hardware? Have odd drivers? You
> gotta' edit the devfs config file... Blah... Please go back to using a
> static /dev directory like Linus intended. :') It's one of the FIRST things
> I remove from my Gentoo installs and it's soooo much better.

devfs is awesome.  it found my compactflash cardreader with no problems
whatsoever.  i can't possibly condone a switch.

--
"one world, one web, one program" -  microsoft promotional ad
"ein volk, ein reich, ein fuhrer" -  adolf hitler