Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
Hi,

On Saturday 31 January 2004 20:30, Jerry McBride wrote:

2-HIDE THE GARBAGE... Do we really need to have ALL the compiler and emerge
updated logged to the screen? See PROGRESS BARS above.

Well, I had some severe problems the last days with X, glibc and others (nptl
related, big downgrade and recompile time, wohooo plus a mulish X emerge,
dying again and again). And this 'garbage' becomes realy useful, if you want
to circumvent (or simply find!) the error that is holding you back for hours.

You're just underlining the point here. The garbage only becomes useful in exceptional situation thus it need not be shown in typical compilations but might be available elsewhere whenever needed. The reasoning behind showing much carbage on every compilation is that only devs and experts would ever compile their own products. It is obvious that such a mechanism has not been developed with gentoo-like solution in mind.

--
.signature: No such file or directory