I'd like to make an update to the original question about speed:

I just tested the 4496 driver and the 5336-r1 driver, and the 5336 is a
LOT faster. (Tested with wine and half life, warcraft 3, on a 2.6.1)

The lockups:
I have a via chipset and i do use framebuffer, and i am pissed off by
this... :-(. Do you think that not using the via_agp driver could help
with this? (using a generic agp driver instead)

GPG public keys available at pgp.mit.edu