On Wednesday 04 February 2004 19:01, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 February 2004 15:40, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> > > Hell no.
> >
> > why not?
>
> because for the things that has already been explained. Progress bars do
> not give any good information. Take a look at a Windows install for
> example:
>
>       remain 10 minutes...
>
> 20 minutes later:
>
>       remain 10 minutes...
>

> *But* if Windows showed the actual steps instead of a progress bar, after a
> few installations, I could "manually" estimate the remaining time on ANY
> hardware with more precision.

hey, I didn't say I like them!
to say it clearly: I don't want to see progressbars, I want to see the steps.

But it is very clear that there are quite a number of people who like them,
even if they are 'broken' in the way you describe...
Maybe the users who want to see a progressbar just want Gentoo for the speed
and they don't want to get intimidated with all those messages they do not
understand. Then a progressbar is much better: they have an indication of
when it will be finished even if the displayed progress is not 100% accurate.

So you can say two things about progressbars:

1) NO.
  1a) NO, they cannot be implemented correctly and even if it can it costs too
much time/effort to keep it correctly.
  1b) NO, Gentoo is for 'power users' (users who know what they are doing) and
such people just don't want progressbars so we don't implement them.

2) YES
  2a) Gentoo is about choice: if you want them you enable them. There are
always people willing to implement it.
  2b) We should copy windows because that is what 90% of the world is using,
only we do it correctly!

Well I tend to say 2a and then I will disable them when they are really
implemented. If you say 1 with whatever reason than you are ignoring the wish
of a lot of users.

BTW what I really want is a summary of all post-messages of installed
packages: when an `emerge -Du world` has 10 packages you lose those messages
which can result in some brokeness... (like with python 2.2.x -> 2.3.x)

        Rudmer