FYI,

I've read quite a few negative comments about the latest nvidia drivers,
but I must say I have had the opposite experience.

On my labrat box, I'm running a newly installed latest gentoop 2004
2.6.2 system with ~x86 everything and glibc with nptl activated, so the
5336 level nvidia drivers were selected.  I noted:

1. On my nforce2 video card, I notice a 300fps speed improvement
(glxgears) over prior 4496 level drivers.

2. I have a VIA chipset.  The new nvidia driver is smart enough to
disable AGP support even if requested instead of hanging the system as
did the 4496 level driver.

3. I have no problem switching to-from an alternate console while X is
active.  No black screens as others have reported.

Enjoy,

--
Collins - Denver Area -
Gentoo stable kernel 2.6.2-rc1