On Friday 06 February 2004 09:56 am, Grendel wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Collins Richey wrote:
> > FYI,
> >
> > I've read quite a few negative comments about the latest nvidia
> > drivers, but I must say I have had the opposite experience.
>
> Well the latest drivers actually make games like NWN run faster
> than ever. A great improvement from the old drivers indeed.
>
> I have a nforce2 a7n8x, with a ti4200 and they perform great.
>
> I strongly suggest that people with crashes should disable acpi
> support, using the acpi=off on kernel boot.
>
> I am having both AGP 8x and fast writes enabled on my box and there
> is no stability problem whatsoever.
>
> Bye,
> Grendel

Grendel,
        I have the same board and graphics card but I can't get the 5336
nvidia drivers to load upI have nvidia-agp and agpgart loaded but
"modprobe nvidia" returns:

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia
(/lib/modules/2.6.1-gentoo/video/nvidia.ko): Unknown symbol in
module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg shows:

nvidia: no version magic, tainting kernel.
nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
nvidia: Unknown symbol class_simple_device_add
nvidia: Unknown symbol class_simple_destroy
nvidia: Unknown symbol class_simple_device_remove
nvidia: Unknown symbol class_simple_create

I do have: /lib/modules/2.6.1-gentoo/video/nvidia.ko

I've done modules-update and opengl-update nvidia but X won't start
unless I change the driver to "nv" from "nvidia" in the X conf. I'm
obviously missing something but it's not jumping out at me....

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free