On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Gentoo has excellent dox & is much more user-friendly than its reput'n
> & there's a v friendly community of developers/users.
> you do have to pay attention to what you're doing, of course.

I dont think I wil have a problem with low level linux interfacing, the
only problem I have is with gentoo's init scripts, ie they are somewhat
different to the other distributions initfiles right? What is the impact
of this aspect of gentoo's behaviour?

> > My 80gb disk is partioned in to / and /home, I would like to keep /home.
>
> copy  /home  to CD & re-install it: surely, that's simplest.

Unforutantely /home is 30GB :( But I think I can keep it, and install
gentoo to the formatted / partiion, and keep the swap file.

> > My nvnet nforce2 ethernet is automatically detected by the live cd1,
> > so I have everything working.
>
> you don't need the Internet to install Gentoo, if you use GRP.

but I would like to update it later :)

> > 3. I have a broadband connection so large downloads are not a problem.
>
> that's important once you have a running system & want to update things.
>
> with similar h/ware & I/net connection to yours,
> i downloaded/compiled/installed OpenOffice 1.1 in  c 5 h 30 m
> & this wk ditto KOffice 1.3 in  1 h 16 m .

Hmm...Good. Well it certainly will be interesting to see what happens when
I start installing it :-)

Bye,
Grendel

--
Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)