Grendel wrote:

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Arne Vogel wrote:

Sure you can! However, you may want to consider installing from your existing Mandrake
installation. You should actually be able to install Gentoo on the same partition (into a subdirectory,
using chroot - see the handbook), and later replace the Mandrak installation (except for /home) with it,
though the transition may be a little tricky (mv, rm, cp etc. may break). I would recommend booting
from the LiveCD before performing this last step. How much disk space do you have left on /?

/dev/hda6 5.9G 3.7G 2.2G 63% /

Should be enough.

If you remove Mandrake before the install, it definitely should. When you run low on disk
space with a Gentoo installation, check your /usr/portage/distfiles. That's where the downloads
go, and Gentoo doesn't delete anything in it automatically.

Here's a simple script that you might also find useful (I've installed this as /usr/bin/diskusage):
du --max-depth=1 "$@" | sort -n -r | less

When called without arguments, it displays the subdirectories of ".", sorted by size, descending.
When called with argument "*", it displays files as well.

And etcat -s tells you the installed size of a given package.

Alternatively, install everything from binary, this will save lots and lots of time, you will be able to
compile packages later.

Yes, this is what I plan as i want to get the desktop up and running as fast as possible. Once I have a working desktop I will set about updating to the modern packages.

kdegames: merge time: 44 minutes and 52 seconds
etc.

Does this time include downloading as well?

I'm not sure... for broadband, download times should be much lower than compile times
(my 768-kbps DSL line manages about 360 Megabytes per hour, others are still faster).

The only notable exception are binaries, e.g. openoffice-bin or americas-army.

Currently, emerge does not support simultaneous downloading and compiling (at least I
know nothing about such an option), in the future it could download the next package
while the current package is still compiling. For now, you can more or less emulate this
by starting an emerge -f (options) (packages) first, waiting for one or more downloads to
complete, and then starting another emerge (options) (packages) with the same arguments
except "-f" (without terminating the first emerge). Though this may cause trouble should the second
emerge ever catch up with the first... I'm not sure whether running 2 wget processes on
the same file is a good idea.

xfree: merge time: 1 hour, 9 minutes and 14 seconds.

hmm.this was fast....xfree86 needs a large volume of space and takes a lot of time to compile too usually.

Maybe this is because the gcc was Athlon-XP-optimized with -O3? :-)

Various other packages that will be needed for your installation add up to let's say 3 hours,
that would be 12 1/2 hours in total. Deduct 20% for your faster processor, and it's still about
10 hours.

Well I plan to use the live cd's and get a precompiled xfree86+kde setup
ready then from the network upgrade the gcc, libc, kernel, xfree and KDE
step by step as time permits, I suppose this is the best option.

Make it so!