> > Frame buffer works just fine. That's not the problem.The caveat is if
> > using an Nvidia card, you need to compile in the vesa framebuffer
> > driver, NOT the nvidia FB support.

Yup.  rivafb + nvidia = bad

> You do not need FB. Never. And if you want to use nvidia or ati-binary
> drivers, FB is not only bad, it is a false choice.

Funny, it works fine for me . . . and why is it a false choice?  Perhaps I
want to spend most of my time in a 1600x1200 console, but still play games
(or use CAD, or various other things) in X with the full awesomeness of my
video card.

Regarding the OP:
        $ uname -r
        2.6.2-rc3
        $ qpkg -I -v nvidia-kernel
        media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.5336-r1 *

Works very well for me in 2d--I haven't gamed much, but NWN works at least
for a short time.  I'm also having no trouble switching from X to my
(framebuffered) consoles.