Hi Tom,

Thanks for your advice.

The problem happened after 'emerge -u world'. Some other folks on the list or forum also fell into the same trap.

Now my problem is that I could not start 'Fail Safe' anymore. Neither I am allowed to key in root-password to login as ROOT nor to login as USER. I can login just pressing 'ENTER' but on a read-only system. I am not allowed to edit /etc/fstab. Any suggestion?

You should boot from the original live-cd, mount /dev/hda1 (or whatever is your root device) to /mnt

for example, if root is hda1

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

Booting up Gentoo box with CD1 but I was not allowed to mount without knowing the FS

fdisk -l
only showing 'linux'

cfdisk /dev/hda3
showing
FATAL ERROR: can't open disk drive
press any key to exit

IIRC at time of installation I selected 'reiserfs'

Kindly advise how to find it out. TIA

B.R.
Stephen

then

nano -w /mnt/etc/fstab

and change /dev/BOOT to /dev/hda1

Then you should be able to boot without the CD and sort out the remainder of the partitions. Don't forget to change the partition type from xfs to either auto or the correct fs type.