On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:07:13 +0800
Stephen Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The cause of my havoc differs from yours.  It happened only after
> running 'emerge -u world' and rebooted automatically.   I strongly
> believe 'upgrading betagenkernel' is critical which was also done
> automatically without asking a question.
>
> Can I copy files from /home/user directory by attaching this Gentoo
> hard drive as slave to another Linux box?  Or is there any other ways
> to get back the files in that directory.

If I understand your problem correctly, you are going to need to perform
a successful reiserfs recovery, and I'm not the right person to consult
about that, since every thing I tried failed miserably.

If you can successfully mount the partition in read only mode (I was
able to do so at my failure), you can certainly mount the partition on
another linux system with reiserfs support and try to copy off the files
you need.  Knoppix (CD based system) is an excellent recovery tool.

I wish you the best of luck.

I'm sure you must have read the replies to my suggestion.  Filesystem
discussions most often result in a flame war.  I know lots of people use
reiserfs successfully, but my two attempts over a period of 2-3 years
resulted in disaster, so I have signed off permanently.  The fact that
the filesystem can (under somewhat diverse circumstances) fail to locate
the superblock makes me question the total design, since the purpose of
a journaled filesystem is to recover properly when the system is out of
sync.

Once you get out of the woods, you can decide what to do.  I personally
have never never had a single problem with ext3 (oops, see below);
others swear by XFS (running servers for many years). My only objection
to XFS (until recently) was that you had to obtain separate kernel
patches, and these had to be reevaluated each time the kernel changed.
XFS has now been ported into the 2.6 kernel, but the level of XFS
activity recently in kernel releases makes me suspect that it is not
quite ready for prime time.

Now that I remember, there was one oddity on my system with ext3 at
least 1 1/2 years ago.  I had a single directory with a small number of
files under my home directory that would not permit writes.  I had to
copy off the files (all were intact) and rebuild the directory.  This
pales in comparison to what you are experiencing.

--
Collins - Denver Area -
Gentoo stable kernel 2.6.2-rc1