From: "Ernie Schroder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Install

On Thursday 12 February 2004 11:57 am, Jose González Gómez wrote:
>     Rob,
>
>     Manual compilation or using genkernel? What about error
> messages? Have you double checked everything is fine in /boot?
>
>     Regards
>     Jose
>
> Rob Barnett escribió:
> > I have a dell Inspiron 8500 notebook.
> >
> > I have installed using gentoo-dev-sources using stage-1.
> > Everything worked great
> > I booted into it and discovered that I did not configure my
> > network card or a file
> > system that was required by 2.6.  I tryed to do another make as
> > before but
> > when I try to boot into it, it would not. Is there something I
> > missed with the kernel
> > to compress it or something so that grub will boot using it.  I
> > can only boot using
> > the original kernel that I created.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob

The first place to look is: Did you mount /boot and copy over the new
bzImage? A normal Gentoo system runs with /boot unmounted. I've also
heard noise that the latest genkernel doesn't mount /boot either.
IMHO, genkernel is not ready for prime time, or if it is, the
documentation is sadly lacking
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free