> I ran into a perpetual re-configuration problem with VMWare
> also.
> Every time I booted, it would complain about not being compiled
> for
> the running kernel. I'd log in, run vmware-config.pl, which
> would
> complete successfully. But then on the next boot, same error.
>
> The solution was to set RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes" in
> /etc/conf.d/rc. I
> was running a full udev system, so I had set that option to no.
> But,
> with it set to no, each time I rebooted the machine, the /dev
> entries
> that vmware_config.pl created would get lost, hence the not
> configured
> message. Enabling the device tarball persists those /dev entries
> across reboots.
>
> Don't know if this is the cause of your problem, but it might
> help.
>
> Dan

well i know nothing about udev so i know thats not my problem,
it seems to be working now once i got rid of the not_configured
file, installing a virtual machine as we speak.  so if you dont
mind explaining, what is udev and what are its
advantages/disadvantages and how would one go about setting
something like that up?

thanks

nick