Eugene Rosenzweig wrote:
Is there such a thing as deep-dependency? If I try to emerge a ~x86 package
which depends
on a masked package of which I have installed the stable version, emerge will
complain and
I would have to install the dependency first, with all its dependencies. Seems
to me all
dependencies will be resolved. I've had to do it before but never deeper than
one
dependency, unlike my old RedHat 7 system of olden days where I was forever
working out
which rpms I needed and which version.

Of course there exists such a beast. A good example would be the new Enlightment (sp?) window manager, which has some crazy dependencies. Also gnome, not kde because that is pretty simple package-wise.

BTW, if you have an:
        emerge sys-apps/foo

That requires sys-libs/bar of version larger than or equal to 2.0.2, then you should not package.keywords ">=sys-libs/bar-2.0.2" and do an:
emerge sys-libs/bar

You should add that line to package.keywords and do:
        emerge sys-apps/foo

So that the library would be added as a dependency, not into world, and "emerge depclean" would be able to get rid of it properly.

I'm pretty sure you did not mean this, but it could be implied from your mail, so I thought I would clarify.

And also, BTW, this ACX100 WiFi card works perfectly, with initscripts from the masked baselayout that configure it at boot.

It seems that the original poster's problem was that he was trying to avoid using Gentoo's methods of making the card work, instead working around it and installing by hand (Which also works, but its harder...).

--
[Name      ]   ::  [Matan I. Peled    ]
[Location  ]   ::  [Israel            ]