Tony Boom wrote:
People keep telling me I have to compile the bttv module into my kernel, I have no idea whatsoever how to do that, it is not there.
Can anyone else who is using 2.6.10-gentoo-r4 *please* just run a make menuconfig and see if the driver is in fact missing (it is very remotely possible that it got dumped out somehow)? I'd do it myself, but I'm on a SuSE system at the moment. Oh, what the heck, I'll do it myself anyway; the kernel hasn't changed all **that* much since 2.6.5-- at least not in this respect, afaik.

From a make xconfig:

The video driver should be in Device Drivers=>Multimedia Devices=>Video4Linux (if Video for Linux is enabled)=>Video Adapters=>BT848 Video For Linux (very first item)

BT848 Video For Linux (VIDEO_BT848)

Support for BT848 based frame grabber/overlay boards. This includes
the Miro, Hauppauge and STB boards. Please read the material in
<file:Documentation/video4linux/bttv> for more information.

If you say Y or M here, you need to say Y or M to "I2C support" and
"I2C bit-banging interfaces" in the character device section.

To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
module will be called bttv.

There is also this in the Digital Video Broadcasting device section (just below the Video For Linux section)

Nebula/Pinnacle PCTV PCI cards (DVB_BT8XX)

Support for PCI cards based on the Bt8xx PCI bridge. Examples are
the Nebula cards, the Pinnacle PCTV cards, and Twinhan DST cards.

Since these cards have no MPEG decoder onboard, they transmit
only compressed MPEG data over the PCI bus, so you need
an external software decoder to watch TV on your computer.

Say Y if you own such a device and want to use it.

You might want to enable that too, just in case-- not too sure about the capabilities of your exact card. Maybe it doesn't have an MPEG deocder.

------------------------------------

The audio driver, if your card is using the BT878 chipset rather than the 848, should be in Device Drivers=>Sound=>ALSA (don't feel like typing it out)=>PCI Devices=>Bt87x Audio Capture

Bt87x Audio Capture (SND_BT87X)

Say 'Y' or 'M' to include support for recording audio from TV cards
based on Brooktree Bt878/Bt879 chips.

---------------------------------------

Or (if you're using OSS for some reason, rather than ALSA OSS emulation), in Device Drivers=>Sound=>OSS=BT878 audio dma

BT878 audio dma (SOUND_BT878)

Audio DMA support for bt878 based grabber boards. As you might have
already noticed, bt878 is listed with two functions in /proc/pci.
Function 0 does the video stuff (bt848 compatible), function 1 does
the same for audio data. This is a driver for the audio part of
the chip. If you say 'Y' here you get a oss-compatible dsp device
where you can record from. If you want just watch TV you probably
don't need this driver as most TV cards handle sound with a short
cable from the TV card to your sound card's line-in.