On Sunday, the 16th of January, Peng thusly spake:

On 01/16/05 18:13, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Sunday, the 16th of January, Peng thusly spake:

Err... "AltGr"?

a.k.a Right Alt.

Whatever activates the "SysRq" key on your keyboard, usually "PrtSc" or "Print" on IBM PC keyboards.

You can also configure the key by writing a character to /proc/sysrq-trigger

See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt for more.

Peter G.

Right Alt key? All right. So what would I hit to shut it down? AltGr-SysRq-K-S-U-B?

Yes. You hold Alt-SysRq and then press the other (lowercase) keys in order.

K means "kill all processes"
S means "sync all filesystems"
U means "unmount all filesystems"
B means "do a hard reboot"
O means "do a hard poweroff"

There are more options, but these are useful for system lockups.

It's advisable to wait a bit after the S and U combinations so they can complete.

Note you have to have this functionality enabled in the kernel config under "Kernel Hacking".

--
"I do not think the way you think I think."
    -- Kai, last of the Brunnen G