On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:51:39 +0800, mel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running Gentoo on Compaq Presario 1500 for almost a year now, and
> everything is fine and dandy except for one thing: the CPU gets hot
> quickly whenever I emerge large packages (xorg, mysql, kernels).
>
> Currently I don't have any control apps (speedfreq, cpufreq), and I
> resort to distcc (which keeps the CPU temp somewhere between 65 deg C
> to 68 deg C - without it it goes as high as 74 deg C). Another thing
> that I do is Ctrl-S to suspend the compile, let the CPU cools down,
> and Ctrl-Q to continue.
>
> The fans are all working fine.
>
> Question: What other things I can do to cool the CPU while emerging?
> Will using cpufreq/speedfreq helps?

My first thought would be a question: do you have a desktop computer
that could do the compile work?

If that's the case, you could setup to build binary packages on the
desktop compiled for the laptop and then install those packages on the
laptop. This, of course, would completely circumvent the cooling
problem.

$.02.

--
 Collins