Dave,
        I adjusted my /etc/sudoers file and commented out the line:

#Defaults       env_reset

and then retried with success.  There is a line:

DISPLAY=:0.0

in my environment that sudo creams for security reasons.  After RTFM'ing
a bit more I found that you could add the line:

Defaults        env_keep=DISPLAY

to your /etc/sudoers file and then "sudo xcdroast" WILL WORK.  As I
mentioned in my last email, I won't need this again for a couple of
years and by then it will have been swapped out of my brain to who knows
where.  There is a small problem that may get introduced here:  If, like
me, you have two (or more) people running X sessions simultaneously on
the same computer one could intentionally reset the DISPLAY variable to
the other user's screen and run amok but I'm sure you know how to deal
with that.

Best Regards,
Tres