Maybe all that complicated junk is if you want to put root on an LVM. I've only done one LVM2 so far on FC2/3 and it worked fine but I left /boot and /root off the LVM - it wasn't part of it. I' have a system that I'm going to install Gentoo on and use LVM2 and udev so Holly's experience is encouraging.