First, thanks for all the feedback on video cards.

I am about to attempt my first Gentoo install, and I plan on taking it very slowly since the whole reason I want to go Gentoo is to find my last distro, optimize it for my system and learn as much as possible in the process.

However, I don't want to have to run to the kids' XP computer every time I want to use the forums, post to the list or go to irc.

Right now I have Linux on hdb3 and Windows 98 on hda1 with a FAT32 partition for Windows apps on hdb1. HDB2 is swap. I want to keep the 6 gig hda1 with Windows just for a few educational games my kids still use that wouldn't run on XP, but I want to use hdb1 for Gentoo.

I have never put two versions of Linux on one computer. I want to keep hdb3 for my use while installing Gentoo on hdb1. Is this do-able? Are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

TIA