Bill Davidson wrote:

Yes, you can do this. In fact, if you follow the alternate install guide in the
gentoo handbook, you can install gentoo from your other distro.

Thanks to all for the input thus far. I knew I could dual-boot, because I am, but I have never run two Linux versions on the same drive, but it doesn't sound vastly different, so thanks again for the help, especially some of the partitioning examples.

Regarding the above, I have been reading the handbook and saw that possibility. My primary concern right now isn't to just get Gentoo running; it's to get a real Linux education. Would installing from my current distro accomplish that just as well, y'all think?

TIA.  I'll take my answer off the air. :-)