On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Neil Bothwick wrote:

The other way, which works especially well when you are continually
adding and removing distros, is to set up your main distro normally, then
install the bootloader for the other distros into the root partition of
that distro, instead of the MBR. Then you only need the following entry in
grub.conf to boot the alternate distro and nothing else on your main setup
is touched.

title Some other distro
root (hdX,Y)
chainloader +1

The disadvantage of this is that you need to have a working bootloader on each partition, and if you install a bootloader incorrectly for that distribution of the day, you can wipe out your existing bootloader.

Certainly go with whatever you feel most comfortable with, but I'm the type of person who would prefer to have all my kernels in one place.

Another advantage to this (Assuming the same version of gcc is used for each distribution) is that you can use the same kernel for every distribution.

Christopher Fisk
--
It must be awful to be a girl. I'm sure it's frustrating knowing that men are bigger, stronger and better at abstract thought than women. Really, if you are a girl, what would make you go on living?
--Calvin, Dictator-For-Life, of GROSS (Get Rid Of Slimy girlS)

--
Cop: "He's making a break for it. Get him!" Fry: "No, no, I was just picking my nose." Cop: "He's picking his nose. Get him!"