You can safely drop /var/tmp/portage to reclaim a lot of space.
/usr/portage will typically contain the distribution files for those pieces
that you've emerged; you can remove these but re-emerging/updating would
download them again.

To 'clean' your /usr/portage directory you could try removing the whole
thing then drop a snapshot in place.

I keep my distribution files in an alternate location (my local ftp space
for other gentoo boxes on the internal network to retrieve from), but "du -h
/usr/portage" still reports that I'm using 1.5 Gig.  To me this is a small
price to pay, especially since disk space is so darn cheap to begin with.