On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:04:16 -0700
George Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there a more reasonable/saner way to maintain my system.
> I am wondering is there any places where Portage stashes files that it
> has downloaded, or temp files (other than the tmp directory) that could
> be safely flushed.

Hi,

portage/distfiles contains downloaded sources and can grow quite large
over time. If you have a fast internet connection you can safely delete
it.

portage/packages contains binary packages that are created when using the
-b or -B options to emerge, or if you have set FEATURES="buildpkg" in
make.conf. You can delete this as well.

/var/tmp/portage contains temp files while building. Those files can be
left behind if emerge fails or is interrupted. You can delete it as long
as emerge is not running.

Regards