George Roberts wrote:

Is there a more reasonable/saner way to maintain my system.
I am wondering is there any places where Portage stashes files that it has downloaded, or temp files (other than the tmp directory) that could be safely flushed.

You might wanna take a look at tmpwatch (emerge -uDav --newuse tmpwatch) which requires you to have a cron daemon (vixie-cron is a good choice).

And if you do maybe add something like this

PORTAGE_TMPDIR="$(/usr/bin/portageq envvar PORTAGE_TMPDIR)/portage"
PORTAGE_LOGDIR="$(/usr/bin/portageq envvar PORT_LOGDIR)"

if [[ -d ${PORTAGE_TMPDIR:-/var/tmp/portage} ]]; then
  ${TMPWATCH} --mtime --all 336 ${PORTAGE_TMPDIR:-/var/tmp/portage}
fi

if [[ -d ${PORTAGE_LOGDIR:-/var/log/portage} ]]; then
  ${TMPWATCH} --mtime --all 336 ${PORTAGE_LOGDIR:-/var/log/portage}
fi

or something similar to the end of /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch

It will remove anything that haven't been modified for 14 days from some common places...
Look through the other commented options found in that file as well.
If the filesystem where your distfiles is situated is mounted without 'noatime' then consider cleaning that as well...

/Andreas