Thanks again to all that have helped me.
After following your instructions I have dropped from over 6 gigs down to 3.8 gigs, which seems to be a more reasonable figure to me.
I am on a cable connection so re-downloading is not a major issue with me. My distfiles had grown to 1.2 gigs, and yes also there were some failed emerge packages.
Backing up to cds is always a good idea.
This sets my deranged mind to wondering, is there a howto setup for how to screw up my system and bring it back to the stable point simply working from backups?

W.Kenworthy wrote:

To add to this, many updates are released as a patch to the existing
source, so again, an upgrade without the source will require it to be
downloaded - again.

There are utilities (search the forums) that will clean distfiles,
limiting it to only the installed sources - these usually work well.

However, unless space is critical I would leave them there.  Unless you
are on a low cost, mega fast link having the sources already available
speeds things up a lot.

Alternatives are burn them to cdrom, put them on a remote nfs mount etc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
BillK