On Saturday 05 March 2005 05:24, Ryan Sims wrote:
> Many thanks for all the replies.  Couple of clarifications/questions:
>
> I've only got one stick in, it's a stick of PC3200 512MB, so
> unfortunately, I can't just swap it with another.

If you have a friend, you could try one of his sticks.

> Other than trying new ram, is there a way to try and figure out if
> it's the mainboard or the processor?

look for the temps in bios/with sensors. CPU>60°C check you fan. mobo >35°C
check all fans. Check your PSU, try the stick in a different slot.

> Since I might be going the new route, are there recommendations for
> memory brands?  I've been told that kingston or crucial are good,
> (I'm using kingston now, tho).  Thanks again.

Kingston is not really a quality brand. Kingston has bad programmed SPDs, and
they were able to deliver whole charges of defect sticks, because the sticker
glueing machine worked with to much pressure. This does not speak for a
working controll. Oh, and completly different sticks, with identical serial
numbers, which makes proper quality tracking impossible.

Brands to look for: Micron/Crucial or Infinion.
The rest is not able to make a stick like the specs demand or claim settings,
the 'things' can not deliver - Geil, Buffalo and other are just expensive
crap. Samsung is buyable, if you get a original stick. V-tech,
MoselVitec,Qte&co should not even considered.

Have a nice day.