On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 22:09 -0500, Ryan Sims wrote:
> My computer has had some bizzare symptoms for quite some time now, and
> I finally ran memtest86 from the livecd, and was wondering if anyone
> could help me understand what the diagnosis is.
>
> There were definately errors that popped up; say a page and a half of
> them.  (and here's the stupid question part) does this mean I need to
> drop $60 on a new PC3200 stick?  Is there an acceptable level of
> error?

My experience has been that if memtest finds a single error, the RAM is
not worth using. Computers are sensitive devices, and if in just once
place you get a 0 where you should get a 1, or the other way around,
there will be serious problems.

Such as random crashes. Apps segfaulting left and right. Merges failing
in unrepeatable ways.

You need to replace this.