On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 10:18 -0500, Ryan Sims wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 07:08:46 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann
> > look for the temps in bios/with sensors. CPU>60°C check you fan. mobo >35°C
> > check all fans. Check your PSU, try the stick in a different slot.
>
> Ahh....my CPU runs, according to my BIOS, usually between 70-80 degC,
> perhaps this is the problem.  MB is ~34-35 usually, unless I'm running
> a long compile or a heavy game.  Perhaps I need a new CPU fan.

That is FAR too hot, that will significantly shorten the life of any
processor, and at the very least cause it to spew errors and bad data. I
would be surprised to see any processor last over 2 weeks with that
temperature.

The motherboard temperature seems fine.

Sounds like your fan/heat sink might be fine, but the critical part in
all of this is the thermal paste that sits between the die on the CPU,
and the heat sink.

Take it all apart. Scrape off what you can from the cpu and heat sink.
Then, use light rubbing alchohol on rags to clean it up as good as
possible. I would also use a very fine sand paper on the bottom of the
heat sink. But NOT on the cpu die. A few seconds of very light pressure
should be enough.

A key is to use GOOD thermal paste, not some no-name store stuff. I
always go with Arctic Silver. Remember, the thinner the layer, the
better it will conduct heat. If it is too thick, it will retain heat in
the CPU.

The way I pull this off is apply the thermal paste on the entire die of
the CPU with the very edge of a new razor blade.

Assuming your heat sink is reasonable, and your fan is reasonable, you
should notice a significant heat drop.

If you don't, then that means that the case itself is not circulating
air properly.

Have at least one fan, on the back, as high up as possible. Two is
better, again on the back. You can go overkill with fans. The thing to
remember is you want the same ammount of air coming in, as going out, to
get a good balance.

If you have more air coming in than going out, heat will be held in.

Something else that helps a lot, if you have a tower, is using a power
supply with a fan on the bottom of the power supply, that pulls up.
Then, the fan on the back of the power supply pushes that out.

Hope this helps. Do this SOON, or you WILL destroy the CPU. It's also
likely the CPU is permanently damaged, already, and may need replaced.
Good luck.