Ryan Sims ha scritto:
My computer has had some bizzare symptoms for quite some time now, and
I finally ran memtest86 from the livecd, and was wondering if anyone
could help me understand what the diagnosis is.

There were definately errors that popped up; say a page and a half of
them.  (and here's the stupid question part) does this mean I need to
drop $60 on a new PC3200 stick?  Is there an acceptable level of
error?

I've been assuming that the random crashes (usually only happens in
Windows, but *sometimes* Gentoo will develop some tics) were heat
problems or buggy software; but now I'm not so sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

1) I had problems one time with ram overheating, cooling it with a fan placed over them solved it.

2) some time ago there was a project that was aimed to mark block of ram bad, the idea is that the ram fails alwais in the same place, marking that place as bad and denying the access to those regions solves the problem. I'm sorry but I can't remember where to found it (seems to remember that it's a kernel patch)

good luck