Ognjen Bezanov wrote:

> There was that whole "Gentoo is for ricers" website which generally
> mocked the gentoo community for their 'futile' quest to eck every last
> ounce of CPU power from their machines. The gentoo community generally

Pretty funny website!  Their URL is pretty fitting, too:

http://funroll-loops.org/

> had a sense of humour though, and i dont think the site is very
> malicious itself.  Besides - whats wrong with optimising to get the most
> power out of your machine? I call that efficiency.  ;)

I like the website because some of the criticisms are quite valid.  (Some
are just caricatures.)  Like the optimizing thing:  Their (valid) point is
that spending hours of tweaking to get 1% extra efficiency is actually less
efficient.  It's a diminishing return.

--
                     G a b r i e l   M .   B e d d i n g f i e l d