I wrote:
I have rebooted since the emerge so there must be something else.

Following up on my own posting but after some investigation it seems like my emerge is confused. If I do "emerge -up world" there is nothing that needs to be updated but

# emerge -up gnome-common

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] gnome-base/gnome-common-2.8.0 [2.4.0]

So from my limited understanding of emerge I guess I have some work getting the portage tree in sync. (Maybe it is time for an "emerge --update --deep --newuse world" !? or what do you suggest? And how could this situation occur in the first place?)

Yours
--
%% Mats