Mark Knecht wrote:
> One setting I noticed rereading the config file was this one:
>
> <SNIP>
>  Enable laptop mode always, not just when on battery?
> # (This will still disable laptop mode when the battery almost runs out.)
> LAPTOP_MODE_ALWAYS_ON=0
> <SNIP>
>
> Since it's a desktop machine it would seem that maybe laptop mode is
> not totally operational since I would never be on battery?  I'm trying
> changing this to '1' and seeing what happens.

You can check if laptop_mode is enabled with:

cat /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode

My desktop says 0 (disabled), and my laptop says 2 (enabled, but no idea
why it's not 1).

Moreover, if your filesystem is ext3, a "mount" shows the following:

/dev/hda6 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,acl,user_xattr,commit=600)

where the important part is the option "commit=600", the value being
your MAX_AGE parameter. If laptop_mode is disabled, the parameter is
either absent or "commit=0".

-- Remy

Remove underscore and suffix in reply address for a timely response.