--- Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The correction was to replace "dev=/dev/cdrom" with
> "dev=/dev/hdc".

COASTER!

Tried booting with the reader drive(Creative 24x DVD)
-- it went clunk, clunk, clunk...nothing appeared on
the screen but a blinking cursor.

Tried booting with the writer drive(the Lite-on) -- no
clunking but just a tiny, rectangular happy face next
to a blinking cursor at the bottom, middle of the
screen.

Oh, and I see the unit's crashed into the bargain
<groan> But I *was* able to retrieve the CD, curious.