Well, nothing obvious is popping out at me, but see my comments inline below...

Bill Roberts wrote:

I am going NUTS trying to figure out how to make full-screen mode work
properly in vmware-workstation 5.

I can go into full-screen mode, but it looks like only half of the
lines get drawn, so it's very ugly, impossible to read.

A major reason for this can be enabling framebuffer graphics in the kernel. If you are using framebuffer graphics, try compiling a new kernel with only text-mode console support. Full-screen vmware sessions seem most reliable this way.

I had beautiful screens in 4.5.2 which turned ugly at some point
(don't know causal factor). I emerged 5, got beautiful screens again.

I have been trying to get mplayer & hdtv working, so I've been playing
around with xorg.conf a lot, and I guess I managed to break it. I think
I need additional modelines to make vmware work properly, not sure how
to get the right ones.

My guess is that this has nothing to do with the modelines, because on a modern system with a DDC capable monitor, everything should be autodetected. Specifically, double check your monitor section and try commenting out any HorizSync or VertRefresh settings that you have.

Oh, one other oddity. The vmware modules vmmon and vmnet which should
be loaded by /etc/init.d/vmware in default mode, don't get loaded.
Can't figure out why.

Explain a bit more please...are you saying the vmware init script runs as part of your startup, but produces errors? You didn't by chance accidentally replace this with the VMWare version, did you? The second line of that script should say "Copyright ... Gentoo Foundation".

If this doesn't give you any ideas, I would like to see the device and monitor sections from your xorg.conf file.
-Richard