On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 23:26:09 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > Thanks Mick.  My host is big with multiple data centers of their own.
> > They did exactly as I asked and I'm running on new RAM.  There was a
> > problem bringing my system back online and the cause was purported to
> > be an unseated ethernet cable.  I handed over my root password as I
> > was requested to do, and then started to get paranoid.  I suppose I
> > shouldn't though because with physical access to my machine they
> > pretty much have full access anyway, right?

> Usually, physical access means they either have it or can get it pretty
> quick.  Boot a CD/DVD, mount the partitions, chroot in, change password
> and reboot.  Then, you don't have the password but they do.

That's pretty obvious though. Physical access allows them to change your
password but not read it, so you'd know pretty soon if they'd been up to
anything.

If they really do need the root password, you have to give it to them,
but that doesn't stop you changing it, and running a rootkit scan, as
soon as they've finished with it.

--
Neil Bothwick

and there was light.