On Friday 31 December 2010 11:56:05 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> "<media-video/nvidia-settings-256.52" is blocking
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.29

So'm I. Ever since I upgraded nvidia-drivers to 260-19-29 I've had to
recompile it every time I boot the system.

This is weird. When I start the system, instead of the kdm login screen
I get a blinking cursor in the top-right of a blank screen. An emerge of
nvidia-drivers enables me to restart kdm and get a proper screen. This
is in spite of not having been able to unload the old nvidia module
because it was "in use".

Therefore I'm going to mask this version of nvidia-drivers and revert to
the previous version.

(No apologies for hijacking a vestigial thread.)

--
Rgds
Peter.          Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.