On Friday 31 December 2010 21:00:57 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 20:54 on Friday 31 December 2010,
> walt did opine thusly:
> > So, if you've ever run the NVIDIA install program manually, you
> > probably have two different nvidia.ko files in /lib/modules, and
> > the wrong one gets loaded automatically at boot time.  Re-emerging
> > nvidia-drivers will build *and* load the correct kernel module
> > each time you do it.
> >
> > May not be your problem but it's easy to check, at least.

I didn't think I'd ever run the nVidia installation program, and on
checking I see one nvidia.ko for each kernel version I have installed,
so that isn't the problem.

> module-rebuild takes care of all that nicely.

And it wants to rebuild the module again, even though I only remerged it
yesterday.

Something is messing about with the nVidia module.

Thanks for the ideas, gents.

--
Rgds
Peter.          Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.