On 01/02/2011 03:51 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Friday 31 December 2010 12:52:08 Peter Humphrey wrote:

When I start the system, instead of the kdm login screen I get a
blinking cursor in the top-[left] of a blank screen. An emerge of
nvidia-drivers enables me to restart kdm and get a proper screen. This
is in spite of not having been able to unload the old nvidia module
because it was "in use".

It looks as though the boot sequence is going wrong somehow, because
when I get my initial blank screen, if I then switch to a VT and restart
xdm, everything works as expected.

Just for clarification, are you saying that you can do that even without
re-emerging nvidia-drivers?

So, when you first switch to the VT, the nvidia module is already loaded?
Is there an X session already running before you restart kdm?  (I don't
use any of *dm, so I don't know if they are X apps that require X to be
running before they can write to the screen.)